Subject: [Leica] Re:Bye Bye Mamiya
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Apr 22 12:31:34 2006

Guess what, Daniel - I have put away ONE digital camera since I started, and
the only reason I put it aside is that being an early model, it was fixed
lens and had too damn much shutter lag. But I have not seen the need to
trade in and up every 15 minutes.

There's something really interesting going on here, our little exchange
aside, that occurred to me while thinking about Sonny's latest post, and
that is this - most people on this list who are saying 'digital just isn't
there yet, I'm not ready to make the move until blah blah blah,' have only
been dabbling with digital - most with point and shoots, a few with good
cameras, but without the kind of attention and commitment they give to film.
Suppose, for a moment, that someone who had shot only digital for years and
years was handed an M and tri-x, or, more to the point, a film p&s, and just
played with it a bit. Odds are they'd react to it precisely the same way the
'slow to adopters' are reacting to digital. Really learning any new
technology, art form, what have you, takes a serious commitment and a lot of
time and work; it takes setting the old aside to really concentrate on the
new. Obviously, Sonny's someone who knows more about Photoshop than most of
us ever will - but there's more to shooting digital than mastering
Photoshop; it really does require the same kind of emersion all of us at
some point gave to film when we were learning it.