Subject: [Leica] Lympa Log - new photos just posted - airplanes
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Apr 13 11:52:40 2006

Thanks, B.D., for taking the time to comment. Here was my thinking on the
photos: The superwide shot of the Portland building was the "establishing
shot" of the series, probably a habit that goes back to my 16mm Bolex days
with the local television station. Then the other shots told the train
"story" - conductor, interior, kid going past to end it. Maybe I was more in
slide-show mode than usual on this page.

I did try cropping the wide shot of the two people on the  train - several
ways in fact. Each time, I didn't like the loss of environment in the train,
especially the lady's feet and colorful purse that framed it and contrasted
so colorfully with the interior yellow cast. Maybe too much stuff?

This is all why I'm looking forward to seeing you in Boston first week in
May and REALLY hashing out some thoughts and ideas. Should be great fun!
Please e-mail me off-list.

And thanks for the comments on the airplane shot - anything that flies
prompts me to do my best. Here's a great quote about people like me, to whom
the sight of an airplane ruled out all need to pay any attention to the
Little League baseball that soared over my head in right field, as the thing
of real beauty soared in blue skies overhead:

"You can always tell when a man has lost his soul to flying. The poor [fool]
is hopelessly committed to stopping whatever he is doing long enough to look
up and make sure the aircraft purring overhead continues on course and does
not suddenly fall out of the sky.

?It is also his bound duty to watch every aircraft within view take off and
land.?
Ernest K. Gann, from his novel Fate is the Hunter.

Best,
Gary T