Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Fri Apr 7 05:49:15 2006

But learning "the basic, technical skills" of drawing increases what
you see in the world, and that's what's important in this context, not
turning out fabulous drawings.

A friend of mine qualified as a Royal Marine sniper (which is not
easy), and aside from all the physical stuff involved they spend a lot
of time being taught how to draw. Seriously - all these tough elite
soldiers sat around every afternoon and drew trees and stuff. The
objective was the same: they were being taught to look.

I hasten to add that I don't mean that anyone who didn't learn to draw
is no good as a photographer, that's clearly nonsense, but it's a good
way in for anyone who wants to improve their photography.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com