Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Fri Apr 7 04:58:01 2006

I think it's amazing how many of the respondents to this have said they
can't draw. I believe that practically everyone can draw, it's just
that it has to be taught. Like playing the piano - everyone can do
something on the piano if they're shown how, but not everyone can be
Daniel Barenboim.

Learning to draw is rather more important than the piano if you're a
photographer though, because even if you are not an undiscovered
prodigy, and you are never satisfied with the results, you will learn
how to see. And there's nothing more important than that for a
photographer.

So - forget about buying that new lens and spend the money instead on a
life drawing course. At least then you'll be able to say you take
photographs because you chose to, not because you couldn't do something
else.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter