Subject: [Leica] WWII veteran (OT Gear)
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Thu Apr 6 08:37:44 2006

If I may, Ted, I'll tell you why I think the combination of the story and
the first picture is stronger than that of the story and the second picture
- in the second, you've got a frail old man - lovely portrait, but just a
frail old man, a picture that leaves me faintly sad. The first one, though,
shows him alive, doing what he loves - and it's a poignant reminder of
wartime watchfulness, but now for joyous reasons, not fearful ones. So the
first picture to me is one of hope and happy endings, the second isn't.
That's no reflection of the isolated photographic merit of each, just how I
feel the words and images work together.

Nick