Subject: [Leica] two more
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Mar 29 22:33:40 2006

on 3/29/06 9:46 PM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> Douglas Herr showed:
> Subject: [Leica] two more
>> from Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, east of San Diego:
>>> the Verdin is unique to the desert southwest:
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/remizidae/verd00.html
>>> while the Orange-crowned Warbler (orange of crown not always visible) is
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/parulidae/ocwa00.html
>
> Hi Doug,
> Beautiful, both of them. When the first opened I thought, "WOW! Doug sure
> has that DMR thing working beautifully with results like this!" However,
> the
> colour and subject looked much better than film. That was my first
> re-action.
>
> Then second image the same, blown away again.:-)
>
> Then I saw this line....>>"both: SL2, 560 f/6.8 + 1.4x APO, Provia 400F"<<
>
> As I was so sure they were DMR images from what everyone is saying about
> it's fantastic results.One has to wonder then, are the DMR results even
> better than these 2 photographs on Provia 400F?
>
> ted

In terms of grain and croppability, the DMR is much much better than Provia
400F.  These two photos are pretty much full-frame, while the Western
Bluebird with the DMR a few days ago was about 1/3 of the original file.
The digital artifacts - at ISO 400, same as the Provia 400F  - are becoming
apparent with this crop, but nowhere near as much as the grain would be with
a similar crop on the 400F.  I 'll need more time with this rig to reach any
more conclusions, I hope to have some quality time with the DMR and some
wildlife this weekend.

--
Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento