Subject: [Leica] Phil Dick and Lem
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Mar 28 21:20:04 2006

I'm a HUGE Jack Vance fan. He's nearly blind now, and in relatively
poor health as I understand it. But his body of work is wonderful.
Gene Wolfe, who wrote the extraordinary "Book of the New Sun", says
that his Book of Gold was patterened after Vance's "Tales of the Dying
Earth". And there's always his classic novella "The Dragon Masters".

I had a difficult time with "Solaris" as a college student - I was
more into "Ringworld" and that genre - but I think the 2nd film caught
the emotional feeling of "Solaris" very well. I haven't seen the first
version but it's on  my Netflix list.

Ohhhhh A Bertram Chandler and his time-twisting gyroscopes pushing
along his space tramp steamers!

I highly recommend the work of Paul Park whose Starbridge Chronicles
trilogy is worth searching for in used book stores: "Soldiers of
Paradise", "Sugar Rain" and "The Cult of Loving Kindness".

I'm behind on his newer work.

And now back to our more visual discussions.

Thanks for remembering Lem.