Subject: [Leica] Phil Dick and Lem
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Mar 28 20:43:37 2006

At 09:45 PM 3/28/06 -0600, Arche, Harvey wrote:
>I've been hearing about Lem for 30 years, and searched for copies of his
books. When I found them they were English translations from the French
translations of the original Polish, and sorry to say, I couldn't hack
reading them. So they sit on my shelves out of reach, to my great regret.
Are there now decent English versions? Been reading (and re-reading) Phil
Dick since '72.

I never liked Lem that much but I read a lot of his stuff in the 1960's;
little of it left much of an impression.

In the summer of 1970, I met Avram Davidson in the flesh in Novato,
California -- Novato is home to Lucasfilms and produced Huey Lewis and the
News and, just between us folks, I am a 1968 graduate of Novato HS.
Davidson gifted me a couple of Jack Vance books and STRONGLY advised me to
go and visit  Dick in the East Bay, but other things, such as returning
East to college, intruded, and I never did so.  I have been reading Dick
since the early 1960's and his MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE really, really
grabbed me when I encountered it in 1964.

Phil Dick is an acquired taste.  He spins his tales with a rather bizarre
twist.  But, damned, if he wasn't one hell of a writer -- and I am STILL
waiting for the local rag to turn out a homeopape!  THAT was one brilliant
concept.

There are still a few Phil Dick books I've failed to score, though I have
worked my way most joyfully through the five volumes of his accumulated
short stories and the single volume of his non-fiction essays.  A Bertram
Chandler died in 1985 and I did not read the final book he published until
this past summer, just to have one bit left to enjoy.  I feel the same way
about Phil Dick, and hope that there will always be another story or
another book to read.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!