Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 18:52:10 2006

,,It would be possible for Leica to design an asph version of the f1 Nocti
that would improve the performance relative to the current version.? While
the current Nocti is astoundingly good, lens design, glass manufacture and
(especially) methods for making aspherical elements have improved enormously
in the last 20 years.? Such a lens would probably be entirely unaffordable
and anyone hoping for a 50mm lens with the least number of aberrations
should buy a 50/1.4 asph.

------

A company I consulted with a few years ago (in  Rochester, NY) designed such
a lens for the military. I can't say too much more about it but I know the
cost was about the same as a high end BMW. With mass production the cost
might drop to that of a Cadillac. Save your pennies.

Larry Z