Subject: [Leica] happy birthday!
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Mar 24 07:11:50 2006

Steve,
It means the designer of the lens truly appreciated the task of the tool and
balanced all the foibles to provide an output that works.  The same holds
true of the ancient 50 F1.5 Sonnar design.  On paper not such a great lens
with coma, astigmatism, focus shift, curvature of field, vignetting, and a
host of other sins, and yet the images hold up very well sixty years on.

The same of the Noctilux.  The image hold up at F1 just fine thank you.  Buy
either of Ted's medicine books.  Go to Rei's family page.  You will find
hundreds of images at F1 and be there.  Mostly all outstanding.

Some may say the tool doesn't mean anything to the expert.  Try taking
images in the dark with an F4 lens and no flash.  Try to eliminate a nasty
background if you don't have a fast lens or a a lot of room to back up and
something over 400mm.  :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com