Subject: [Leica] Remember when ...?
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Mar 20 23:25:42 2006

On 3/20/06, Philippe Orlent <philippe.orlent@pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> First one is wonderful. I'd even crop something of the left to get
> full emphasis on Rebecca.
> BTW, how do you get the TX to look so grainless? I saw you developed
> it in HC-110 and tried it myself with 6,5 minutes in dilution E this
> weekend, but the grain still is very apparent.

Philippe, I _have_ tried HC-110 in the past without getting the result
I wanted. Marty whispered in my ear that I would probably never be
able to get it either. I like HC-110 on just about everything else,
but Tri-X gets too harsh.

So this was processed in Xtol. I alternate between Xtol, HC-110 and
D76 depending on film and situation.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Xtol and 400TX just a tad too soft to
my liking. Perhaps I should lengthen the time a bit to get some snap.
On the other hand, D76 1:1 seems to be returning more and more as a
favorite. It works with so much. I had been using D76 with Fomapan and
still had some Xtol in stock. I was really satisfied with D76 1:1 and
400TX (kind of a tried and true combination so I wasn't being very
daring) but had that Xtol still in stock. I mixed it up a couple of
months ago so I didn't want it to sit around. So I developed this roll
of Tri-X in Xtol 1:2 for 12 1/2 minutes (Tri-X exposed at closer to
800 than 400, but not quite 800).

I think some of my success depends on an agitation technique I picked
up from a guy name John Hicks (not sure about the John part, but I
know his last name is Hicks) over at photo.net a few years ago.

I was having problems with uneven development in 120 size. The edges
of my films were darker than the rest. Here's a sample:

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/folder-7519.html

The explanation was too little development. At the time I was using a
4-reel (135) tank / 2-reel (120) tank and processing 4 or 2 rolls at a
time. I was filling the tank.

He pointed out that this was not letting the developer flow around
enough and the exhausted developer was gathering at the edges of the
reels.

The easiest cure (the solution is to get the developer moving around
by agitation) was to develop halv as many rolls as the tank would
hold, placing empty reels on top and pouring in just enough developer
to cover the bottom reels with film on them.

Then just agitate normally. Two inversions of the tank every 30
seconds. Those inversions would allow the developer to flow off the
film into the empty space and then when you turn back, the film would
be covered with fresh developer.

Every since then I have been having good luck with my processing. My
skies, in medium format, have an even density across the whole frame
and it even seems to benefit 35mm.

I'm not sure if you need to limit yourself to just half the number of
films. I suspect that three rolls in a four reel tank with only one
empty reel would work out about the same. It's the empty space that
gives the developer some breathing room that helps.

Daniel