Subject: [Leica] Series VI hood?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Mar 19 16:21:00 2006

At 05:15 PM 3/19/06 -0500, Robert Beaudoin wrote:
>Bonjour,
>
>  How about a Leica related question?  I just purchased some ringdings at
the local...ringding store.  One of the lens hood is marked series VI and
does not fit my 50mm summilux lens.  The other lenshood is of the Ricoh
brand and is also marked series VI, however it fits perfectly on said lens!
 How come?  Any lugger has a trick for using cheap lens hoods on a 50mm
summilux lens?
============================

Series adapters have been discussed here extensively in the past.  These
consist of a succession of increasingly larger adapters and hoods to allow
the use of the same filters on many lenses.  That is, a Series VI (or, in
German, Serie VI) filter can be fitted to many different requirements.  For
instance:

Tiffen and Ednalite both made Series VI adapters for the rather odd sloping
thread used in the Summitar.

Hoya, Tiffen, and Ednalite used to make, and B+W, Heliopan, and Harrison &
Harrison still market Series VI adapters for use on, say, Hassleblad
Bayonet 50 or on Rolleiflex Bayonet I -- buy the Harrison & Harrison, as it
is both much less dear and is much better built.

These same folks have been able to or can today provide you either a
Bayonet 41 or screw-in 41 fitment for a Summarit.

These same folks have been able to or can today provide you a 43 screw-in
fitment for the traditional Summilux.

Und so weiter.  Series VI adapters come in both slip-on and in screw-in or
bayonet fittings.  My first Leica, a IIIc, came with a Tiffen Series VI
adapter ring and hood which I still use, albeit normally without a filter.
I have a Series VI adapter ring for the Summarit on my IIIf RD ST (M41) and
yet another for the Summicron on my IIIg (M39).  The same hood and the same
filters work on all of these arrangements and only the adapter is changed.

Harrison and Harrison is a grand company and they can provide you with the
proper adapter ring for just about any lens with which you wish to deal.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505