Subject: [Leica] Indoor available-light films
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Mar 10 22:32:59 2006

Hi Arche,

I love shooting in these types of markets. But as someone suggested, try
getting some more images where people's faces are visible and there is
some interaction between buyer and vendor going on.

Regarding the film issue: I have used both T-Max 3200, Ilford Delta 3200
and Fuji Neopan 1600 over the years (until I switched to digital in the
fall of 2004). Of those films, I found the Fuji to be the best
compromise between speed and grain. Don't get misled by the names--those
3200 numbers are nothing more than marketing hype; all three films have
more or less the same speed, and all three can be pushed to 3200 if
needed. But the best results are at 1200-1600. In any event, I don't see
why you need 3200 in shopping malls--those are usually well lit, with a
reasonably fast lens you should be just fine with Tri-X at 400. And
finally, with the fast films developer is important too--I read
somewhere that despite the T-Max name, the T-Max developer is actually a
poor choice for T-Max 3200. Try instead XTOL 1+1 or Ilfotec DD-X if that
is still available.

Nathan