Subject: [Leica] PMA report-Now 85mm f/1.2L
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 3 08:24:31 2006

Don Dory wrote, in part,

"Tina, Canon's new 85 F1.2 will make you mad you bought the old one.  Much
faster AF and a very nice manual focus throw as well."

It was probably 14 months ago when I hammered a Canon rep over why the 85mm
f/1.2L had not been updated. The answer (pull on your tall boots, boys and
girls) was that Canon's primary concern was to maintain optical superiority
in that boat anchor.

Well.

Okay. Times change, I suppose.

I do love that lens. On the 5D, it becomes my EOS-series Noctilux/75mm
Summilux. To give it it's due, I'm sure it focuses more accurately that I
can, regardless of time-to-lock-on.

It is certainly not good bet for following rapid action, though. Why, a
photographer would have to anticipate the plane of action and pre-focus.
Imagine. Tragically retro, that.

Anyway, unless my ship docks with enough cash to winch in the newer,
faster-focusing 85L anchor, I shall dwell in financial comfort with smug
denial of the new edition's superiority. Perhaps I'll adopt a pre-ASPH
mantra.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Care to join me, Tina?

-Chris Lawson