Subject: [Leica] Re: Intel Mac
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Mar 1 15:45:10 2006

<<I wouldn't buy a new Intel based Mac now,
I'd wait until late summer when they've been through a production
design-cycle. Although, I have to say, with Intel deeply involved with
the design and using chip sets that are highly standard, this may
change.>>

I bought the Intel Mac 20" several weeks ago. My first impression is that it
is the best semi-pro computer I have ever used, especially for graphics and
video work. In most ways it is identical to the 20" G5 Mac I have at my
office except that it is quite a bit faster on Universal programs compiled
for both computers. It will run all the OSX programs at about the same speed
(or slightly slower) than the G5 Mac. The only downside is that it will not
run the Mac Classic only software. Too bad, I have some very nice programs
for OS 9 and earlier. Oh well, they will always work on my Powerbook.

So far I have edited a few dozen photographs of paintings and created a
couple of CDs for my wife's art shows and did the post prod
uction and DVD burning for a two hour video journey of European rivers.
Video compression is faster than the G5 system but still takes an inordinate
amount of time. Of course I'm comparing it to professional workstations
twenty times more expensive. The results are the same though.

Every time I turned it on for the first couple of weeks, the software was
automatically updated but it hasn't happened for the last week. I guess
things are settling down.

My suggestion is that if you need a new 20" monitor, buy one of the new
iMacs. It's a great display with a computer thrown in at not much cost.

Larry Z