Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica participation in 4/3rds format
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Sun Feb 26 16:03:17 2006

Steven A. Melnyk" wrote:
<snip>
> In short, I am not convinced of the long term
> validity of the 4/3
> standard.  I am not sure that Leica does itself
> any benefit by
> aligning itself with this standard.  Past
> history tells us that when
> there are several standards, only one or two
> will emerge as the
> dominate standard.  In a world dominated by
> Canon and Nikon, I am not
> sure of the long term viability of this
> standard.  I may be wrong but
> history would argue against the 4/3 standard.

About 80 years ago, when the "standard" was 4x5
inches or larger, along came an innovator who
proposed a much smaller format, using a film that
was a mere 35mm wide.

In a world dominated by larger formats, a great
many people were not sure of the long term
viability of this new 35mm standard.  They also
probably thought that history would argue against
35mm.

Like Steven, I am a "4/3 skeptic", to the extent
that I sold my Olympus E-1 and three lenses and
bought a Canon EOS 5D and some EF glass.  12.8 MP
and low noise was too hard to resist, and 5 MP
and a lot of noise was too hard to keep.

However, the lesson of history is surely that it
is too soon to write the epitaph of the 4/3
standard just yet.  We should wait and see. 4/3
may yet be "the new 35mm", and it is good to see
that Leica will be involved.

Colin

NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars
online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Leica participation in 4/3rds format)