Subject: [Leica] Anyone know the differences between the Focomat IIC and IIa?
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 25 10:47:44 2006

In a message dated 2/25/2006 5:01:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
vick.ko@sympatico.ca writes:

Anyone  know the differences between the Focomat IIC and  IIa?

Regards,

Vick Ko
Vick,
 The IIC, particularly the later grey one is the ultimate 35 to 6x9
enlarger. The latest version had the 100 Focotar-2 (rare) but was it ever
good!  The
IIA has a rotating lens mount for the 60mm and 95 mm lenses and although it
is
adequate I always found the lenses a bit "soft". Both the IIC and IIA are
rock steady and have a very even light distribution. The masks for the
negative
size are different, the IIA has heavy, thick brass masks that slide in and
the  IIC has thin "shim" stock looking masks. If you are looking for Focomat
II's be  sure that you get the masks as they are very difficult to find.
Usually
they  came in 35mm, 6x6 and 6x9 format as well as 1/2 frame, even Minox 8x11
and a  strange 6x9 glass plate for ultra high resolution microfiche
reproduction.  Biggest problem with the older Focomat's is that they dont
come with a
filter  drawer, the later IIC had this. You can adapt Wallner color heads
and
also  Chromega color heads to the IIC's ( I dont know if it is possible to
do it
to  the IIA). Unfortunately the lenses on the earlier IIC's were not that
good
and  these are dedicated lenses and if you manage to change them (not easy)
you tend  to loose the auto-focus function. Watch for worn or broken Bowden
cables on the  IIC ( these are cables that shift the lens-boards when you
change
format) as I  dont know if they are still available. Construction of both
the
IIA and the IIC  is incredible. A IIC weighs in at 80+ pounds and it has an
upright that is  almost 3" in diameter, made from chrome plated brass! I
used a
late IIC for many  years and it kept the auto focus function perfect. Every
5
years I would check  it, mainly to see if I could still do it! It never
shifted and always worked,  both in 35 and 120 film size! Only reason I got
rid of
it was to prevent myself  from accumulating cameras that used 120 film. With
my
Focomat Ic I am limited to  35mm (24x36) and the temptation to get a 'blad
or
Rollie is no longer  there!
 If you are looking for a Focomat, go for the IIC, in grey and if at  all
possible, try to find one with the Focotar-2/100mm - it should last longer
than
film will and it is virtually impossible to wear one out.
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC
Canada