Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon's homage to the Leica M7
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 19 17:11:19 2005

It  is true that the Zeiss Ikon is similar to the M7, but I think it is
closer to  the now defunct Hexar RF. I have been using a black ZI for a
while and I
like a  lot of the features on the camera. It has what most likely is the
best finder  ever on a rangefinder camera. The eye-relief is nothing short
of
sensational,  even with glasses I can easily see the 28 frame and in a
pinch, you
can use the  25mm lens and use the outside frame lines of the 28 as a guide.
The camera is  very smooth with a film advance that is soft, so soft that it
took me a couple  of rolls to realize that the film actually was moving
through
the camera! The  AE-lock will hold the reading for 20 seconds or until you
press the button  again. Exposure system seems right on the button (based on
approx. 15 rolls so  far). It is a lighter camera than the M's but it is not
flimsy camera, it  feels solid and comfortable. I have run a variety of
lenses
through the camera,  both Zeiss Ikon lenses and Leica/Voigtlander lenses.
There
have not been any  instances of problems with back-focus, even with 90
Apo-AA
wide open and close  focus. The frame-lines key in properly with Leica
lenses
and there is a nice  legend for each frame set-up that tells you what it is.
The  negative aspects are generally small things; the bottom rewind is not
something that I like, did not like it on the M5 and I still don?t like it
on
the ZI. The lock for the back is a bit flimsy in my opinion. I haven't
opened
it  by mistake yet, but it could happen. The shutter speed indicator is
situated on  the left hand side of the finder and can be difficult to see,
particularly in  bright light. The M7 has a better long exposure system,
that 32 second
count  down is a thing of beauty whilst the ZI runs out of steam at 1
second.
One major  flaw is that it lacks a 75 mm frame, the 85 frame can be used in
pinch, but  the problem is that the Leica 75's have their frames engaged
together with the  50 frame, so on the ZI you are stuck with the 50 frame
and no
manual switch to  get the proper frame (like the R2A/R3A). Of course, you
can
tape the preview  lever to the 28/85 position but that looks a bit tacky!
It  is a viable alternative to a M7 at about 1/2 the cost and the finder
does
make  it a very attractive proposition. Of course, you can buy several
R2A/R3A's for  that kind of money and if you are an occasional AE user,
that?s the
way I would  go, particularly if you are a fan of the 75/1,4 or 75/2 (which
admittedly I  am).
Season's  Bests to everybody
Tom  A
Tom  Abrahamsson