Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 7 11:58:11 2006

Photography  has been integral to my life since I was 14. Before that I
looked at pictures  and wondered "how did they do that". I grew up in
southern
Sweden  and a friend of the family was an air-line pilot with a large
collection
of  "Life" magazines. I spent hours looking at these and somehow the
pictures
caught  my imagination. I also loved taking things apart (clocks, cars and
cameras) and  in the process trying to figure out how it worked. Cars are
easy,
bunch of oily  parts and they are quite easy to assemble. Clocks were
trickier
and most of them  showed times that had no relation to reality once
assembled.
Cameras are quite  logical, I figured out how the shutter worked, how the
aperture worked and  all that. The magic was in the fact that these
mechanical
parts would produce a  reverse image on a piece of flexible plastic! Maybe I
am
still trying to  find out how it happens!
Photography  is also a way to "remember" - even with 3 - 400,000 negatives
on
file, some  dating to the early 60's, a print from one of these will
transport me to  the place and time when it was taken. Very few of these
shots have
meaning to  anybody else but me, except that they show my view of the world
at
that time, a  subject that probably is of limited or no interest to anyone
else.
There  is also the Gary Winogrand axiom: "I take pictures because I want to
see  what it looks like in a picture"! I find myself often taking a picture
of
a  3 dimensional object just to see what it looks like in 2 dimensions for
the
same  reason. No digital technology can replace the anticipation of holding
up a trip  of Tri-X and looking at the image and neither can an ink-jet
printer
replace the  thrill of seeing an image appearing on a piece of paper in the
developer. This  said if I had to shoot commercially today I would be so
digitally wired that I  would need a portable generator. For my own pleasure
and
inquisitiveness the  black/white film and print still is the best.
Tom  A
--------
Tom  Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC