Subject: [Leica] Early 50 Summilux
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Tue Feb 21 10:58:22 2006

I need some information from the collectors on the list.  I just acquired a
box of Leica materials from the estate of a deceased gentleman (I got it
from his grandchildren) and, among other things, it contains a lens that is
a puzzle to me. It is a very early (1959) M 50 Summilux, ser # 170XXXX, in
Ex+ condition. The problem is, that it is black anodized finish over
aluminum and the first band next to the mount is black enamel.  The design
of the focusing helix is the first version (heavy knurled grip).  According
to my limited literature, which is ambiguous at best, the first version
Summilux was not made in black anodized, especially in 1959.  The lens was
apparently bought new in the early 60s by the grandfather but his family
knows nothing else about it.  Of course I can't tell which optical version
it is because the versions were so similar.  From the serial # it should be
the first version (1959-1962).

Can anyone shed some light on it for me? Is it a parts piece made up from
odd year parts or something different?

TIA

JB

Replies: Reply from director at ubi.edu (Lucien vD) ([Leica] Early 50 Summilux)