Subject: [Leica] Bogus M2-R Auction
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Feb 20 18:02:17 2006

Greg has it exactly right. Leica serial #1164803 cannot possibly be an M2R.
In fact, that number precedes my first M4, ser #1177933, bought in June
1967. My law partner bought an M2R not too long after they were released in
1969 or early 1970.

I did not see the ad but wonder, Greg, if the camera had the M2R engraving
on the top-plate as did genuine M2R's?

There are other odd aspects of this camera. I do not understand why the U.S.
military would have come into possession of an M2R and spent the money to
paint it black. My recollection is that this model derived from an overrun
of cameras made pursuant to an order of the U.S. military, caused by the
cancellation of the last part of the order. Leitz took those cameras,  added
a late production run of the 50/2 DR Summicron, made of them a special
model - dubbed M2R - and sold them as a set, very attractively priced, if I
recall correctly.

Seth