Subject: [Leica] silver vs pixels
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Mon Feb 20 16:55:32 2006

  Frank Filippone wrote:

> Since you asked......
>
> I have never seen a B+W digital print that I could not identify as
> such.  I
> can see pixelation, jaggies, moire patterns, banding, and almost
> anything
> else when I look at digital B+W.  I simply am very sensitive to the
> optical
> effects of digitization.  The form of scientific inspection that I
> view
> with, you may not consider fair, and the same digital print  may
> not bother
> you, or the guy next to you, or even his neighbor, but it bothers me.

The only reason you ought see pixelation is that the print is printed
at too low a resolution (or the image is acquired at too low a
resolution, bit depth or with lossy compression). Same for jaggies
and moire patterns. Digital artifacts are nothing more or less than
the effect of inadequate resolution, or the application of an overly
aggressive algorithm e.g. trying to sharpen a blurry image.

If you are enlarging from 35mm film and scanning at 5400 ppi i.e.
from the commonly available Minolta scanner, that yields a roughly 40
megapixel source. You can print such a scanned image digitally at 300
ppi (yielding a 20x24 print) which should have no detectable digital
artifacts at least to the naked eye. If 5400 ppi scanning is not good
enough for you, you can have your negatives scanned at 8000 ppi.

The problems you are seeing with digital images are not problems
inherent to digital images, rather the compromises made when those
prints were made. But then all photographic techniques involve some
sort of compromise.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] silver vs pixels)