Subject: [Leica] silver vs pixels
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Feb 20 17:27:59 2006

I disagree... if you digitize an image, you inherently have pixelation and
jaggies ( unless you are 100% sqauare to the image creator ( printer or CRT,
for example, and we would all agree that is unlikely).  The degree that you
can observe that artifact is dependent on your eyes and your brain and the
image creator and its algorithms.  I may be more sensitive, experienced,
trained, or otherwise notice it more than you ( or others)  do.  But
artifacting is always there.

Yes, bad creation does create some to a lot of additional artifacting, but
artifacts from digitization is there 100% of the time on all digitally
printed images.

Your last comment is correct.  I just do not have to accept, in my
photography and enjoyment of others photography, anything I do not like.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

The only reason you ought see pixelation is that the print is printed
at too low a resolution (or the image is acquired at too low a
resolution, bit depth or with lossy compression). Same for jaggies
and moire patterns. Digital artifacts are nothing more or less than
the effect of inadequate resolution, or the application of an overly
aggressive algorithm e.g. trying to sharpen a blurry image.

The problems you are seeing with digital images are not problems
inherent to digital images, rather the compromises made when those
prints were made. But then all photographic techniques involve some
sort of compromise.

Jonathan