Subject: [Leica] Ericspaw Week 5 and 6
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Feb 14 23:21:40 2006

Subject: Re: [Leica] Ericspaw Week 5 and 6
http://ericspaw.blogspot.com/
Nathan Wajsman offered:
> couldn't you have come a bit closer to him? As the image stands, it would
> be almost impossible to know what this picture is about, were it not for
> your caption.
> > Remember Capa's dictum about not being close enough...<<<<<

Hi Eric and Nathan,
I have to agree with Nathan, as I've opened and closed Eric's
electrician/truck/building/ water and whatever else is in here at least a
half dozen times without deleting it while trying to find some kind of
whatever it is I'm looking for? How's that for trying to figure out a photo?

It's like one's eyes go all over the place looking for an anchor point, a
centre of interest.

And for the life of me I've tried to find the motivation for shooting it in
this manner.  Maybe I've been looking too hard to see a picture, possibly
it's just a snap shot without any real photographic motivational moment,
other than being a plain old fashion record of the location.

Eric mon ami, would you please explain what grabbed you visually to take
this photograph as we see it? In other words what was the motivation?
Remember now, this isn't me playing smart ass and it's not personal. Because
as I said, I opened and closed it at least a half dozen times trying to find
what grabbed you to make the exposure?

If anything I think you're too far away and I'd have made the shot
concentrating on the electrician and truck sign if it were possible?  Maybe?

And no I haven't deleted it, yet. Because maybe there's something there I
can't get a line on, so your explanation would be very helpful. Thank you.

ted

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Ericspaw Week 5 and 6)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Ericspaw Week 5 and 6)