Subject: [Leica] Re: world press winners 2006
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Feb 12 06:10:13 2006

B.D.,
I asked that as my experience has been completely different.  My daughters
crowd is just a notch down from the MIT students.  They are only in Yale,
Dartmouth, UPenn, Chicago, Oxford, and Berkely but their knowledge is vast.
You can discuss obscure German philosophy then what is going on in Darfur
then latest bands, then the economics of the trade deficit as it relates
to bond yield inversions.

Then there is the reading, these kids devour the written word, Doestevsky
for fun, Gladwell for a bit of light reading.  None of them have set up an
orphanage in the back yard, but all of them participate extensively in help
for the disadvantaged: one is teaching creative writing to inner city seven
and eight year olds, another works with physical rehabilitation for children
devestated by muscular diseases, another is heavily involved in an anti land
mine organisation, another works in an outreach law office so that the
poorest of the poor can get decent legal representation.

I guess that what I am saying is that there are at least some of the rising
generation that embody the best of what we want our children to be, smart,
caring, involved, and patient with their old geezer parents. :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com