Subject: [Leica] The economy of film...
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Feb 8 23:59:30 2006

On 2/9/06, Richard <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> wrote:

> I also enjoy the visual feedback with the wet prints, I can change the
> paper grade and see the noticeable differences on the prints. There is
> something more immediate about making adjustment with exposure time and
> paper grade, and then see the results...

I missed this the first time around, Richard.

But I never found working in the darkroom an immediate experience. You
always had to guess the "dry down" effect on the print, how it would
look the next day when it was dry. A print can look beautiful with
rich, deep blacks when it is wet ... but dry it and you get another
print.

No, immediency is not something I would apply to wet darkrooms.

But of course, even digital prints must be totally dry (next day)
before you can really judge your blacks and lightness/darkness.

Even though I use film, I prefer digitally printing. There is a
difference, it's another print, but I personally, for my own use,
prefer the look of the digital print. Most people don't notice. I have
an exhibit now and people come up and ask me: what paper did you use?
Ilford? Agfa?

Epson Enhanced Matte. :-)

Daniel

PS: I _might_ go into the darkroom again. I haven't dismantled it yet.
I have the luxury of being able to leave it set up and ready to use
whenever I want to. I just don't want to :-)