Subject: [Leica] The economy of film...
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Feb 8 23:22:02 2006

I know, I know, go out to make some photographs...

One of the factors in digital's favor is cost. The film luddites (*raise
hand*) arguments include depreciation of digital equipments and the need to
get computer equipments etc. Another argument I have not heard much is the
cost of doing B&W prints. I just knocked out an 11x14 print of the Taiko
guy for the Taiko classroom, and the cost is pretty much the paper (~$1.20)
plus pennies for the chemical. I use a RH Design Analyzer so I didn't waste
paper doing test strips (to be fair, the print is slightly light and I
would have added another 1/3 stop if I am aiming for higher quality.
However, for this purpose, it's good enough). I have a Nova print processor
so the chemical last for several weeks. If I use my Epson 1280, the paper
is about $2.00 and the B&W MIS ink has to be in the range of $1 or more. I
doubt the Epson Ultrachrome ink for the new R2400 is cheaper, so we are
looking at 2x the cost per print.

I also enjoy the visual feedback with the wet prints, I can change the
paper grade and see the noticeable differences on the prints. There is
something more immediate about making adjustment with exposure time and
paper grade, and then see the results...

Not that I am trashing digital of course. All color stuff goes there, and
of course it probably would be far easier to do anything beyond basic
dodging and burning using Photoshop. Different tools for the different
needs....

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] The economy of film...)
Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] The economy of film...)