Subject: [Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Feb 8 13:40:35 2006

It would be great if in simple language some one will explain this question.
Considering this is a question from the dimwit level.

Please explain how some of you people have a noise problem and I've only
seen it in a few picture situations where I suppose I pushed my luck in
almost available darkness situations and near blew the shot?

I'll tell you what really really ticks me off no end is, to have some techie
guy look at one of my 13X19 colour photographs shot by available window
light, soft gentle beautiful light, a portrait type photograph of a young
lad like many of us shoot. And jaw on about "noise" here, there and a few
other places in the print. And for the life of me I can't see what the hell
he's talking about.

Now he's looking at the print from maybe 6-8 inches away, for the life of me
I try my hardest to see and understand this stuff because I really did want
to learn from this fellow. But all he did was royally piss me off no end
with his "noise poppy cock numbers and meaningless words nonsense!"

I took the print from him, held it at a normal viewing distance for it's
size and asked a simple question. "How does it look as a photograph?" His
immediate response, "Oh my gosh it's a beautiful photograph!"

My response... "So what's all the bull shit about noise viewed at 6 inches
from the print if you're so impressed with the photograph viewed at a proper
distance for size?"

His response?.......... no answer! He either didn't know or appeared more
than embarrassed! I opted for just another numbers guy!

So OK already, what's with the noise stuff? I know it's supposed to be found
in dark areas, but if you shoot it correctly in the first place, why would
there be any screwing around trying to get rid of something you can't see
unless yer 6" inches or less away from the print?

Be nice now, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really want to know about
this noise thing because quite frankly I've yet to see what the heck you are
talking about. Well Ok I suppose in a couple of badly printed photographs
where I over tweaked it without knowing what I was doing. Like under what
conditions do you see this quite obviously?

Remember, keep it simple as though you're speaking with someone who only
understands this is a computer screen, not a TV set. ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)
Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)
Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)