Subject: [Leica] Black and white papers
From: durling at cox.net (durling@cox.net)
Date: Tue Feb 7 05:58:03 2006

My latest enlarger doesn't do variable contrast easily (long story) so I
went looking for a graded paper.  Not many of those left, but I found
Kentmere bromide.  Its a good, rich paper with nice deep blacks and a good
surface.  I really like it.

When I was using variable contrast it was Forte, another great paper.  In
both cases its the fiber version that I use.  The Kentmere is not better or
worse than the Forte, but it solves my particular problem.

I mix all of my own developer.  I was using D-72 which is (Kodak) Dektol
without the stuff to tame hard water.  Since my current film developer uses
phenidone and ascorbic acid, (and you thought RIP was complicated) I
switched to E-72 which is just a reformulated D-72 - basic neutral/cold
tone developer.  For warmtone papers it was D-52, equivalent to Kodak's
Selectol.  That improved the color of the Ilford and Forte warmtone papers
I was using at the time.

Mike Durling

http://mail2web.com/ .