Subject: [Leica] re: Epson RD-1
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Mon Feb 6 12:07:27 2006

scanning large volumes of film is indeed a royal pain in the ass.  i
even have the bulk roll adapter for the coolscan 4000, and it still
sucks, sucks, sucks.

IMO, film + scanner is the worst of both worlds: lacking the speed
and convenience of full digital, lacking the fun and craftsmanship of
the darkroom.

and don't even get me started about scanning Xpan negatives.  the
scanner totally freaks out when it sees them, does about half a roll
and then goes all screwy.  i have to take the film out and scan the
second half of the roll backwards (i.e, 36 --> 1 instead of 1 -->
36.)  then the scan pairs are reversed on the contact sheet (left
half of the image on the right, right half on the left), and it all
ends up being more than my not-very-artistic little brain can handle
when trying to look at them and see what they'll look like as panos.

--brad

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] re: Epson RD-1)