Subject: [Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Feb 5 00:12:45 2006

I know the original poster was probably not referring to me when talking
about "Canon loyalists" but I still find it ironic. When I decided to
buy a DSLR in the summer of 2004 and was looking at what was out there,
I chose Canon for two reasons: (1) I had played with a friend's 10D for
a few days and liked the results; and (2) I could continue using my
Leica lenses, especially the magnificent 100mm Apo Macro.

For me the DMR is a non-starter for the simple reason of price. There is
no way I would pay $5.5K for a digital camera from a company that may
not be in business in 5 years. My second-hand 1D Mk.2 cost less than
half of that. With Leica M and non-electronic Leica SLRs like the SL
this is not an issue, since one can rely on the many independent
repairers out there, and besides these things are incredibly durable and
do not cost $5K (unless you buy one of the silly collectors editions).

Nathan