Subject: [Leica] DMR mk II ?
From: pwerner at bluewin.ch (pwerner@bluewin.ch)
Date: Sat Feb 4 05:32:11 2006

Didier,

> On comparison shots found in the web, it seemed to me that the
> colortones of the DMR looked a bit "warmer" than those of
> the Canon 20d, but that was just my personal impression.
> It could have to do with the R lenses' coating
> more than with the sensor.

May I disagree. For a certain time I had the 20d, the Fuji S2 Pro
with Nikon glass  and the DMR and I could compare myself.
These are supposed to be good DLSR cameras.

The differences are there and they are not minor. Not only as far
as skin tones are concerned, but also for dynamic range and color
fidelity.

Before deciding to buy the DMR, I could test it for a week in Germany
last May,  still with a beta firmware. I was convinced by comparing
the results I was getting from the three cameras (in the case of
the 20D by using the same lenses as on the DMR).

One of my most critical tests is the capture of orchids.
The color of dark red orchids is very difficult to catch
realistically. The results with both the Fuji S2 Pro and the 20D
were unsatisfactory; the results with the DMR were excellent.

You do not have do believe my words.

I have posted some orchid photos (Canon and Fuji) on

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BflF

and some Leica ones on

http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e/messages/3/180750.html?1132869128
and
http://www.leica-camera.com/discus/messages/23/108215.html?1132871072

Look at the differences yourself.

I know it is hopeless to convince most typical Canon owners, they
are loyal to their brand (after all, who want to admit he has spent
a lot of money for an inferior product?), but these pictures might
be helpful for people who have not yet made up their minds.

Cheers,
Peter

PS: more Leica orchid photos on www.orchids.mu

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] DMR mk II ?)