Subject: [Leica] Seeking general macro advice
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Feb 2 04:38:57 2006

Scott,
If you are doing relatively large objects such as peppers, larger seed pods,
and human artifacts then an arrangement that goes to 1/4 lifesize will do
nicely.  Arguments against using a rangefinder would start with parralax
error; if you frame tightly then the difference in viewing versus taking
will kill you.  Another issue with the M series rangefinder is the error in
the viewfinder field of view.  It does not change as you focus closer so
what you think you are getting is not what you will get by as much as 20% in
the close field.

This hasn't stopped me from using an M for the photography that you are
proposing, but unless you have an ituitive feel for the M's viewfinder then
I would suggest using an SLR or converting your M to an SLRn :)

With an SLR even a relatively humble normal lens with a two element close up
lens becomes a very competant tool for capturing middling small subjects.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com