Subject: [Leica] Fuji Film and film
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Tue Jan 31 05:29:48 2006

It appears manufacturing/ selling digital is akin to hanging yourself--if
you don't sell a new P&S camera every 6 mos. to everyone in the world,
you're dead--very little, if any, aftermarket. Thus the "new" model race.
I'm glad I'm not in that business.

Daniel Ridings <dlridings@gmail.com> wrote:  If you read the article it
appears that Fuji has its biggest problem
making a profit out of digital. It is cutting jobs in its digital
sector and moving them to Japan.

It appears that digital it the thing ... but no one knows how to make
money out of it. The paradigm isn't the same. I expect that consumers
are so volatile that it is hard to figure out how they are going to
spend their money. It's not enough that they spend it on digital
cameras, because that is just a one-time (or less frequent at least)
outlay of cash.

They haven't figured out how to get that recurrent cash flow that film had.

So yes, film is in trouble, but digital hasn't figured out what to do about
it.

I've been shooting Fomapan 400 and ADOX 400 (= Ilford) this week. Just
checking the playing field.

Daniel