Subject: [Leica] Advice wanted: TRI-X development setup
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 27 11:11:58 2006

Simon,
I think that using chemistry that is one shot in nature will lead to more
consistant results.  My suggestion to developer would go to Xtol, but with
some self examination.  If you would not mind mixing up 5 litres and then
placing it in 100ml brown bottles then this is a superb developer with great
ability to maintain full film speed, low grain, and great definition on the
negative.  Problems with Xtol would include being fussy about the water you
mix it with, and a strong tendency to oxidize it the container allows oxygen
in or air is trapped in the container.

If those issues are more than you choose to deal with then HC 110 and
Rodinal both are very, very stable in partially full bottles, have a unique
look, and have a wealth of processing information out there.

As to fix etc, buy a rapid fix that will be locally available, mix small
quantities, and use a hypo check every time.

I guess the real issues would be a local stockist or a reliable mail order
firm.  Find out what materials they plan on keeping and then maike them work
for you.  D76, ID11, FG-7, Diafine, are all consistant developers that can
be successfully used so whatever materials are and will be readily available
on your side of the pond will work if you will do a small bit of trial and
error to find what works for you.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com