Subject: [Leica] Shooting a new sport
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 22 08:27:00 2006

bruce offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting a new sport
>>> Congratulations on "seeing" the puck ............. and "stopping" it
> in 8480! Might I suggest a slower shutter speed to add a little  movement,
> next time. The images look too frozen.<<<<<

bruce,
Sorry mate in hockey the play is meant to be frozen! ;-) Otherwise your
pictures will never see the light of day on the sport pages nor wire
service.

I suppose for the local camera club it might be nice, but even then ice
hockey isn't the kind of sport where " swishy pan" works very well.

Too many sports editors in the world who rule the sport pages do not
understand "motion blurred hockey!" Trust me, I tried it once as a rookie
news photographer 50 years ago and was banished out of the sport department.
The picture editor was given notice that... "this kid doesn't know how to
shoot hockey! Send us one of the guys who knows how to hold his camera
still!" :-( A horrible feeling when I enjoyed shooting sports so much!

So much for your suggestion of " Might I suggest a slower shutter speed to
add a little
> movement, next time. The images look too frozen.<<<<<

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4