Subject: [Leica] CLE... ?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 20 18:30:38 2006

Issues with the CLE.  The circuit board is not repairable and spares are
only extant in the embodiment of other CLE's.  These are now thirty year old
electronic bits.  The meter only works in automatic, you need to memorise an
exposure and switch to manual if you are shooting something where the meter
will give incorrect results.

If you want an AE M mount camera either of the newer Bessas, the ZI, or the
M7 would be better choices.  Even the recent Konica would be a better choice
as it is 15 or more years newer and the shutter/electronic package is still
available for repairs.

My bias is that new electronics are wonderful things that will bite you when
you least need it as they age.  Age means something over ten years of use,
more if we are talking mil-spec.  (My dad's liberated P08 still functions as
if new thank you)  If you want to use older/vintage equipment then all
mechanical systems are preferable as they are repairable and as they start
to die there is usually some way to keep them functioning long enough to
finish whatever it is you are doing.

0.02

Don
don.dory@gmail.com