Subject: [Leica] Re: Quality/size ratio and digital
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Mon Jan 16 17:52:14 2006

Don Dory wrote:

>Take wine, you would think that someone would prefer a nice $20 something
>bottle of Bordeaux stored for five or six years until it is just getting
>interesting.  Nope, let me have that bottle of $9 something red wine.

Now you're talking about something I can comment on, with 30 years
experience behind me (equal in years to my affiliation with Leica, BTW).

The fact that a person prefers the $9 bottle over something of first rate
quality is strictly a matter of lacking the understanding that comes with
awareness of one's sensory experiences, which is exactly what Scott is
talking about.

As a former professional wine taster and merchant, I can assure you that the
tastes, smells, and textures of the great Bordeaux wines (and you may
replace here the greats of Burgundy, Alsace, Rhone, Piemonte etc. etc. etc.)
bear barely a resemblance to those of their cheaper neighbours. I'd say that
great wine is an experience wholly of another dimension than what one gets
from the ordinary, as if they have nothing more in common than their source
in a fruit called grape.

Thus, I will maintain, is the stuff of Leica too, for me. Others are welcome
to their tastes, pity though that is.

Emanuel