Subject: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sun Jan 15 18:29:13 2006

  feli wrote:

> It's not just a matter of skill, but also a matter of technical
> limitations. With the exception of perhaps the Epson K3 inks, there
> simply isn't a inkjet process out there (yet) that can produce
> images with the same range as a wet, glossy fiber print. But we are
> getting there. I'm guessing we will reach that point in the next 5
> years.

But you can readily measure the range of a print with a densitometer.
The K3 blacks can readily get to 2.5. The range is then set by the
whiteness of the paper. Silver gelatin generally prints  2.3 or less,
so the range of the inkjet print is measurably at least the same, and
generally measurably better.

This in both cases is with glossy/semigloss papers -- matte papers
give noticeably less dense blacks.

If the issue is *range* we are there.

Jonathan

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)