Subject: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 15 11:44:33 2006

B. D. offered:
>>> Whoa there, Jonathan! While I would say that I can turn out a gorgeous
> inkjet print - and if printed on the right paper a print that is virtually
> indistinguishable from a custom RC print - I would never claim that an
> inkjet print is "better" than a custom fiber print - that's like saying
> that
> chocolate ice cream is better than coffee ice cream; they are different
> animals; they have different looks and feels, and thus they aren't
> comparable. I may "like" one better than the other, but to say that one is
> "better" really doesn't cut it. At least not in my book.<<<<

Hi B.D.,
As much as I've slowly learned how to produce better and better looking
inkjet prints from scanned B&W negs and as often as I've compared wet tray
print to inkjet print of identical neg, I agree with you completely. Well it
could all change some day as is everything in this wild and crazy world of
electronic wonderland is constantly doing. ;-)

As you say, >>> "that's like saying chocolate ice cream is better than
coffee ice cream; they are <different animals; they have different looks and
feels, and thus they aren't comparable.<<<<

I still say too many people make a comparison of inkjet to wet tray print
lying side by each..... WRONG!

Put one print in one room, the other in another. Look at one and ask..."Do
you like it?" Usually the answer is "WOW! Beautiful photograph!"  Now
without the subject knowing which print is which in production method take
them to look at the other. And if one is a master PS and wet tray printer
you are going to get...""WOW! Beautiful photograph!"  It's as simple as
that.

We still have people making negative comments about inkjet prints when they
do not have the skills they've learned in the darkroom of many years. If I
had 50 years doing PS as I have in a darkroom I imagine my B&W prints using
the "tools" of PS, I suppose I could produce inkjet prints that would leave
people sucking air in amazement, equal to when they look at my regular
darkroom prints. ;-)

Time and experience will correct many of the mis-directed or mis-understood
feelings against inkjet as the quality of all factors improve.

But I wouldn't bet my life as >>Jonathan<< said, " that an inkjet print is
"better" than a custom fibre print"

We may see it happen someday, but even then one will still require equal
skills in PS & printer use to make it happen. The constant comparing of PS
print to wet tray print one unto the other is beating ones gums in futility,
simply because  "Who cares!" The main thing is as long as we knock 'em dead
with our photography who the heck really gives a dang how the print was
made?

No different than dealing with art directors and photo editors. It's as
simple as, "they don't care if you used a Leica or a fairies carbon tooth,"
they just want knock 'em dead images, period. Some of you not in the cold
cruel world of "earn yer keep" through photography have no idea what a world
we who do work in.

ted

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)