Subject: [Leica] re: treadmill digital
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Fri Jan 13 19:32:48 2006

Douglas Nygren writes:

> Camera makers must be taking heart in the advent of the digital era.
> Given how frequently they upgrade their cameras, can we expect that
> they will one day introduce model years for their products. What a
> marketing boon this must be. Got to go. I've got to trade in my 2005
> Canon D20 for a 2006. I've also got to upgrade my chips and
> computer to 2006 models.
>
> Doug

I assume updated digital cameras will continue to come up at pretty quick
and regular intervals until incremental increases in pixil count produce no
further sharpness to the resultant images. I can ignore getting on the
digital treadmill by not buying into the marketing hype.

More of a concern to me is the increasing amount of digital video images
used instead of actual historical film of events from the last century. The
History Channel is going this route in a big way right now.

I don't know if we will see revisionist history being presented to the next
generation as a result of this but the potential for abuse is scary.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] re: treadmill digital)