Subject: [Leica] RE: Adox and Efke
From: editor at frontenachouse.com (Rose Scollard)
Date: Thu Jan 12 22:10:51 2006

It's been almost half a century since I've used Adox films, but I still
remember the different variants quite well.  The three emulsions available
in North America were KB14 (10 ASA), KB17 (25 ASA, and KB21 (80 ASA); these
speed ratings are based on processing in Tetanal Neofin Blue for the two
slower films and Neofin Red for the fast guy.  The KB14 was sharp, almost
grainless and very contrasty, KG17 seemed to have more tonal range, and KB21
was quite grainy,with harsh middle tones (harsher than Ilford FP3 or
Gevaert, for instance) but very sharp.  Perutz Pergrania, a 10 ASA film, was
at least as good as any of them, when you could find it.