Subject: [Leica] recent photo LKH
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Thu Jan 12 11:53:47 2006

At 02:29 PM 1/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:52 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:
>
>>[Leica] recent photo LKH:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/Lee-Hermann-album/aerial_cody_Jan2a
>
>I like the photo very much, but I seen in it a commentary on contemporary
>life.
>
>Namely, when the square footage for roadways and parking are about equal
>to that for people something is out of balance. Also noticeble is the
>destruction of open area around what could be a nice landscape for the
>buildings.
>
>Here in Glastonbury CT, we are facing plans to put sports fields along
>river front property which should be left as open area for walker's and
>wildlife.  We already have sports fields that are not fully utilized
>
>David

David,
         Thanks for the comments.  The county building in the foreground
was originally the headquarters of an oil company, which was taken over in
a hostile takeover, then was sold to another oil company which decided to
down size in this area and somewhat charitably sold the building to the
county.  I think that it is a stellar comment in favor of the county to
have bought it.  The huge parking lot does seem to be a bit embarrassing,
but the county library and some classes of the local community college will
move to this building.  So perhaps the parking will be used.  I agree that
as a nation we seem intent on spreading out and destroying open space.  In
many ways the history of the county building is a cruel comment on
contemporary life, but I think that there are some pretty good things said
too.  The recreation center has been a wonderful addition to the community
and the scraped ground in the near background is a new park which will be a
nice addition to the community, it had been years ago a gravel pit and was
until recently a bit of an eyesore.
         Again, thanks for looking and the comments.

Lee