Subject: [Leica] St Pauli girl? 2
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jan 9 01:17:47 2006

The beer mentioned is a mass brewed product actually brewed by Becks in
Bremen (a part of interbrew/Inbev Belgium), on a world scale of beers it
ranks at around position 190 - 210.
The Monastery of Saint Paul (St Pauli) in Bremen was destroyed in 1523
and never rebuilt. This part of town , the Ostertorviertel, in the past
a rough area just outside the city walls, became very much a kind of
German Greenwich Village in the mid seventies, lots of alternative
cafes, theatres, whole food stores and people wearing scratchy self
knitted or woven clothes. Bremen, along with Hamburg, are cities which
are also federal states of the Federal Republic of Germany, and both
belonged to the Hanse (Hansa) towns. Bremerhaven, just up the river
Weser from Bremen, is where US soldiers (including Elvis) arrived for
their stint of service in Germany, is also a part of the city/state of
Bremen. The centre of town is well worth a visit as are the
B?ttcherstrasse ( Art Deco/Jugendstil) and the Schnoorviertel with its
timbered houses down by the river. St Pauli is however hardly ever
mentioned in conjunction with anywhere else except Hamburg.
Take a look at
http://www.bremen.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=635674&_stid=551224&_sttit=&_stthid=635674

Douglas