Subject: [Leica] Screwmount camera recommendations
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jan 8 06:15:05 2006

John,
Probably the most useable LTM would be the mid-later Canon models.  Take a
look at a VT or possibly a P.  You will find a well built body with a bullet
proof shutter with the added benefit of a combined range/viewfinder and an
opening back.  With the VT you also get a bottom trigger wind which is very
nice.  Also, if you come across a NICCA those were also very well designed
camera very much in the IIIF mold.

Should you decide to stay in the Leica fold, then the IIIc would be my
choice.  It is generally less expensive than the others, gives you bearings
in the shutter where you need them most, provides the full range of speeds,
and puts the rangefinder near the viewfinder although I would recommend a
SBOOI finder.  Ultimately, purchase the later III series that comes up first
in the condition you prefer; if you are budgeting a CLA with any of them,
then the ultimate differences in a user are of minor importance.

As Daniel mentioned, stay away from the earlier LTMs.  Instead of fifty year
old cameras you are looking at seventy year old cameras with severe
compromises in design and engineering.  Daniel touched on the shims used to
define film to flange tolerances.  The bodies were tubes pulled into the
oblong shape instead of a casting with the inherent stability issues.
Viewfinders were relatively far away from the rangefinder.  Shutters were
very low stressed with relatively weak springs and bushings for bearings
that depended very much on the quality of lubricant: after seventy years all
old lubricant will need to be removed and new replaced.  In Canada I would
trust Kinderman but no one else for this.  I could go on, but you get the
drift that earlier LTMs are good curios that can take pictures but I
wouldn't purchase one as a user.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com