Subject: [Leica] PESO
From: cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran)
Date: Sun Jan 8 04:30:23 2006

Clayton, a very peaceful photo indeed. It beats the fireworks, :-).

Here in Puerto Rico it as been a bad habit for years to shoot in the
air at midnight after the old year becomes the new year.The bad habit
was everywhere even high society folks didi it.
It is like a war zone with quarters of dynamite also being lighted.
This year the local goverment was moved to action by community groups
to stop the madness. There were campaigns on TV, radio and the press.
The police went to housing projects to talk to the guys and convince
them not to shoot in the air. See, in the projects there are AK47 and
M-16, the scariest sound I have ever heard.

It worked from having dozens of people hurt and even being killed to
only one person got shot on the leg by a strayed bullet. For the first
time there were 3 arrests made when people called on their neighbors
who did not care and shot anyway.

Peace

David