Subject: [Leica] Not WTB: now Son of Asph
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat Jan 7 09:00:06 2006

50 Flare resistance:

Noctilux (absolutely unbelievably good)
Summilux  Asph (flares a bit if the sun just out of the frame)
Current Elmar (haven't noticed any)
Summicron

The Noctilux is a stunning performer with regards to flare
suppression. I do not know how Leica did it with such a big chunk of
glass. It is so good you do not ever need to use the hood. I had a
separate hood version and the hood stayed at home. I really miss the
lens except for its one damning fault: only focuses to 1 meter. I
often shoot closer than 1 meter and the constant backing up after
framing was annoying. I have almost never had a problem with the 0.7
meter limit of most other Leica lenses. If you seldom focus closer
than 1 meter then run, don't walk, and get a Noctilux!

The Summilux-Asph is also excellent in 99% of situations. It just
flares when the sunlight is hitting the glass without being in the
frame. I guess it only suffers in comparison to the Noctilux. I would
be delighted with the Summilux-Asph if I had never owned a Noctilux.
On sunny days I just have to remember to occasionally shade the S-A's
front lens element with my hand.

The current Elmar is great. I have noticed no flare problems at all.
Unfortunately it is so slow that it is simply unusable in almost any
lowlight situation. Hardly a valid criticism I suppose but you can't
get high marks for being a neat eater if you are comatose and tube fed.

The six element Summicron (version before current) flares in many of
the situations I seem to shoot in. The shots are usable but low in
contrast. It is the lens I learned to love Leica glass with but I do
not miss it at all now. My example was a user cosmetically but the
glass was clear and I had had it cleaned.

I did test a Summilux (version before Asph) and I was impressed with
it but a roll or two of film is not enough to make valid comments from.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] Not WTB: now Son of Asph)
Reply from leicanikon at earthlink.net (Stephen Gandy) ([Leica]Old Nocts New Home)
Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Not WTB: LTM current summicron)