Subject: [Leica] OT- Adfvice needed re. film scanner
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Thu Jan 5 06:25:13 2006

I need some advice about choosing a slide
scanner. I need a reliable workhorse that will
help me scan quite large numbers (thousands) of
mounted 35mm slides over the next few weeks and
months.

They include many Kodachromes from 1973 to 2005
plus Agfachromes (CT18 and CT21) and many more
recent Fuji Provia and Velvia slides taken with
my Leicas.

To make things more complicated, I will need to
scan a smaller number (hundreds) of black and
white and colour negatives of various brands. The
black and white films are about two thirds
chromogenic (C41 process) and the remainder are
traditional emulsions.

This is for my work, so lowest purchase cost is
not the primary issue. I will be selling some
Leica equipment (M7, CL, CLE and three lenses) to
finance the purchase of this and other equipment
for my business.

I have a BenQ 2720 which is a reasonably good
scanner but it is too slow and I want higher
resolution (4000dpi) and probably need a slide
feeder to save time.  It seems to me that the
most obvious choice is the Nikon Super Coolscan
LS5000ED with the SF-210 Slide Feeder.

I would welcome some guidance.

Is the LS5000ED the only choice here?  If there
is anyone with experience of using the LS5000ED
to scan some or all of the mix of films I listed
above, I would be very pleased indeed to hear
from you.

If this is considered off-topic for the mailing
list, I apologise, but I would still welcome any
replies by email to:

smcj35@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Colin

NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars
online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] OT- Adfvice needed re. film scanner)
Reply from firkin at gexrp01.ncable.net.au (firkin) ([Leica] Re: OT- Adfvice needed re. film scanner)