Subject: [Leica] further info on Leica ''sale''
From: philippe.orlent at (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon Jan 2 10:16:45 2006

translation of the article all these rumours are based upon:

'Wednesday; dec. 28th, 2005
'Canon takes over Leica'

The Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbum states that shattering business
news is to be expected in the following days: a possible take over by
the Japanese Canon of the photography part of the Leica company.
This merger should materialise in 2006, followed by the marketing of
by new products under a mutual name in 2007.
the news follows the earlier this week announced cooperation between
Nikon and Carl Zeiss (with the purpose to develop Zeiss lenses with
Nikon F fitting)
Both Canon as Leica refrain from any commet at this moment. We
therefor should wait for an official announcment.'

So lots of possibles, ifs, shoulds etc.

Op 2-jan-06, om 18:53 heeft het volgende geschreven:

> I asked Janco, the man who runs, to clarify where he
> got his
> report about Asahi Simbun and the following below in his
> reply...He  said he
> got it "third hand" in German, the text of which is also
> below  ...bob cole
> Update:Sorry for all the fuss, I got this information _3rd  hand_
> (
> over.html)  and can?t confirm
> this. From one point this would be good news as canon  has some
> more money to
> spend then Leica at the moment. From the other side you  would
> wonder what will
> be left from this authentic camera manufacturer when the  merger is
> going to
> happen.
> woensdag, december 28, 2005
> "Canon neemt Leica over"
> Volgens het Japanse dagblad Asahi Shimbun is in  de komende dagen
> opzienbarend bedrijfsnieuws te verwachten, en wel over een op
> handen staande overname
> van het fotografie-deel van Leica door het Japanse  Canon. Deze
> samensmelting
> zou in 2006 zijn beslag moeten krijgen, waarop in 2007  nieuwe
> produkten onder
> een gemeenschappelijke naam op de markt moeten komen. Dit  nieuws
> volgt op de
> eerder deze week aangekondigde samenwerking van Nikon met  Carl
> Zeiss (met als
> doel het ontwikkelen van Zeiss-obejectieven met Nikon-F  vatting).
> Zowel Canon als Leica onthouden zich vooralsnog van commentaar.
> Het wachten
> is derhalve op een _offici?le  mededeling_
> ( .

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] further info on Leica ''sale'')