Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Sun Jan 1 05:36:19 2006

I don't know what it means if Canon takes over Leica. Leica certainly
will gain in digital technology. Canon will pick up some great optics.
Bechstein, the German piano maker,  has an agreement with a Korean
company which has infused some capital I understand, given Bechstein
entry to  that company's  distribution network and infused the Korean
company with German knowhow.

Many things are a matter of taste. I like things German by and large. I
like German pianos to Japanese, which I find characterless. They sell a
lot, but I don't like the sound of their pianos.  I prefer German
hammers to Japanese, the latter being too hard and loud.

And I prefer German optics to Japanese. I can always pick out my Leica
negatives from my Canon. The Canon are good, excellent, but they seem
to have another aesthetic look. Could just be a projection on my part.
I drive a German car and wouldn't think of buying a Japanese even
though the Japanese car would be more reliable in most instances.

So if it's true, if Canon takes over Leica, I hope it means that Leica
gains more financial security and also has an infusion of technology.
And I hope it means that Canon gains another line of lenses to go with
its cameras or something like that.

The new year promising to be interesting.

Ein gutes Neues w?nsche ich allen--Doug

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods)